Saturday, October 10, 2015

Northern Terminus.

8:20pm @ AT Lodge
mi 0.0

Summited Katahdin today. Was a hell of a day to climb to mountain.
About two thirds of the people who attempted turned around at tree line. The wind, ice, and temperatures were intense. The thru-hikes and I were not so worried. We've climbed these types of scrambles already, in these types of winds. The only new thing was the temperature, and we all had tones of cloths. Each article of clothing carefully selected and chosen for it's purpose. So we ventured above tree line and as soon as you reached the ridge-line, the wind stopped and we were bathed in sunlight. Maybe only 1 mile of the windy / slightly dangerous stuff to get to that point. So even thought it was sunny Sat, there were few people at the summit.

I was so happy to get off that mountain. Don't get me wrong, the view was great. But my heart / spirit were done hiking for a while. 750ish miles. Nothing compared to the 2,000 mile thru hiker gang obviously. But I have been hiking for 3 months, and it is enough for me.

Maybe I'll try for Harper's Ferry before returning to work....maybe not.

I want to write more. While it's fresh. About the woods. The trails, the towns and peoples. But I am sooooo tired right now. Been up since 5am. Didn't sleep last night much at all in anticipation for today's summit. Felt like a kid waiting or Christmas morning. Woke up every hour.

Tomorrow my body stays in motion as I begin my trek back to NYC. Can't even understand what that city will be like after this trip?!
Who knows. Maybe tomorrow night I'll sleep in NYC.
























No comments:

Post a Comment