Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Scary and far away.

6:25pm @ Hurd Brook Lean-To
mi 18.6

Hiked nearly 20mi today! My biggest day on the trail. The terrain was relatively flat compared to the previous 700mi or I would not have attempted it. My feet HURT by the end of the day. 8-13 mi days are perfect for me. No more is required.

But today I wanted to see if my body could. Also, Friday is predicted rain. I might zero at Baxter (is that allowed?!) then summit Katahdin on Saturday.


Had a few sneak peeks at the mountain at the northern terminus of the AT. That thing looks scary big! Who can summit and return that in a single day?! Seems impossible from a distance.

All the thru-hikers blew past this shelter. Wonder what they know that I don't? Abol Bridge is still 3 something miles away. I got here and said: "Fuck it." and was not moving another foot. Maybe a decision I will regret...?

I'm fed. Bear bag is hung. Chores are done. 6:35 I'm laying down to sleep.

I always feel like I should write something about the woods and how pretty they are, and how deeply moving the smell of the forrest is, or about a cascade of water that changed my life forever....
Meh.
There are loads of folks who have already done that, and did a great job too!

There continues to be a thought that comes to mind. If one wants to know what it is like out here....the best way to experience it is to get outside and see it all for your self.

The AT has been harder physically that I imagined, but it has been more wonderful than I dared dream.






No comments:

Post a Comment