Thursday, October 1, 2015

Too high rivers.

8:15pm @ Chair Back Gap Lean-To
mi 88.8

A storm dumped 7 inches of rain on Maine yesterday. The USGS website had the rivers we would need to ford today at 5+ feet above normal. In short, dangerous. The folks at Shawes drove me & my overly hansom hiker friend John 15 mi in past the Big Wilson ford where we hiked to the shelter here tonight.

There is a hurricane headed up the coast. scheduled to hit us on Monday or Tuesday. We should have 3 days of nice weather. It's cold tonight. Sleeping with my water filter.

We had to ford a "small" stream today still. The water was about 4 feet deep & fast. I stripped down to my shorts and put everything in the drybag. It was only 15 feet wide, but I was taking NO chances with the cold.

Also, we night hiked the last hour to the shelter. That was something I had not done yet! Very exciting.

Two days of eating town food. My farts could kill a moose.














No comments:

Post a Comment