Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Day vs Night.

5:20pm @ Fingerboard Shelter
mi 801.1

It is a contrast to be hiking in the woods now, When I was traveling north with the last of the NOBOs, there were so many people in the forest. Day hikers. Sectioners. SOBOs and NOBOs. Now, the AT is nearly my own. There is one SOBO thru hiker behind me. Well. He's a flip-flopper technically. Met two small groups of day hikers and that was it.

Anthony Luigi Santoro, finally getting alone time. During the day I love it.  I get all weird and existential at night which is irritating. My confidence vanishes with the setting sun:) "Why am I here?" "What am I doing?" "I'm scared to be alone in the woods at night." Those sorts of thoughts.
But last night, cowboy camping on west MTN in Bear Mtn park was a memory I will treasure for years to come. Even tonight, as if to answer my unspoken prayers, there is a short sectioner who showed up to camp near the shelter. It's a spooky shelter too. Like something out of a Disney cartoon.

Today was as near perfect hiking conditions as a guy could ask for. 60 degrees (ish). Not a cloud in the sky. Slightly breeze on the peaks.

The trail went over the Taconic State Parkway, right near the park visitors center. Had to frogger my way across the two directions of traffic. Waited nearly 7 min for car gap at the first crossing. That is a long time in thru hiker world.

It's so warm tonight. Barely even need the sleeping bag. Had a big dinner. Nothing else much to report.

















No comments:

Post a Comment