Thursday, November 5, 2015

There is no easy way.

5:45pm @ Wildcat Shelter
mi....815.5..?

Booked it 15+ miles today! I thought it would be easier, but the leaves hide all the rocks and roots. Only made it to the shelter 1h before dark.

Saw my first actual in the wild bears today on the trail. Was climbing up over a mtn at about 1 or 2 pm, and I heard something....expecting to see a dear or maybe a coyote....I see a mama and baby black bear! Mom was quick to leave. The cub was curious about me and kept looking back.

I know they are big ferocious creatures, and I should have been shitting myself, but it wasn't that way at all. They went their way, I went mine. Clearly both parties no want to get involved with the other. Also, and I hope a bear does not eat me tonight out of disrespect......they are hansom beasts! I never wanted to see one....Hope I don't see another. But I am secretly happy it happened!

No epiphanies or enlightening thoughts on the trail today. Had to work pretty hard to move the 15 miles. There were some moments were I thought.....Oh! So and so would love this right now! Or, I wish I could share this with that person.

Almost all the leaves have fallen from the trees now. Saw one yellow maple from a mountain top. It stood out as the last tree to hold out for as far as the eyes could see.

Why was it doing that? Does it wait to be the last every year? Was it waiting all this time to be noticed? As if that bit of recognition could be it's lone reason? I am projection emotions onto a thing, in a moment that needed none:)

The woods are scary at night for me still. But the days! Every day is a treasure. No walls. No ceilings. No small apartments that must be kept in a specific way to make well meaning acquaintances happy. Just the woods.
Walk.
Breath in trees.
Sleep.
Repeat.

Also, every muscle in my body hurts right now. Which is amazing.













No comments:

Post a Comment