Monday, November 9, 2015

Night hike!

10 something pm @ Gren Anderson Shelter.
mi 864.4

Epic day. I don't know how to book end this into a worth while story, so I'll just write it. Crazy as it comes.

Got on the trail by 6:45 am. Had to make a resupply in Unionville.  The store Howlers was great. Had everything I needed. I got lost going back to the trail (there were 2x entrances to the town). Thought I could be clever, and pick the trail up on the other side of town....got completely lost. Road walked 5 miles to get back on the trail at yet a further trail head.

Met some cool hikers at the Highpoint Shelter. Decided at 2:30pm to try & get two more shelters further down the trail (7mi).

So I am hoofing it. Went the first first 4 miles in about 1.5 hours. Was pretty stoked. Was "running" to the next shelter when I met a thru hiker sitting on a rock & I liked her attitude, so I stopped to chat. She had an artificial leg which was interesting. We walked together for a bit, then ran into two hunters. A father & son. It was the son's first kill! He was 13. Bionic (the one legged hiker) asked all sorts of interesting questions! We got to hang around as the father taught his son how to field dress a deer! I'd never seen that before.

Then I asked Bionic if I could night hike with her (I'd never done it seriously before, and wanted to learn!). She said yes. So we walked 7 or 8 more miles in the dark. One of the most memorable days on the trail.

I think I walked a marathon. Technically 25.2 trail miles....but I did all that road walking.....so I am going to say Marathon! My body hurt more than usual:)

















No comments:

Post a Comment