Monday, November 2, 2015

Orange and Yellow.

5:30pm stealth camping on top of Canopus Hill
mi 775.5

Wow. Walked 13.5 miles today. Interesting. I was moving quite slow. Took any breaks. Mostly at sunny views.

This is my favorite time of year in the NY woods. Most of the leaves have fallen with a few trees holding on till the end of this late indian summer.

The Forrest is a crinkly blanket of yellow or orange. The small is sad and familiar at the same time.

There were a number of day hikers out today. Most notable were two ladies who got into a small tizzy over a trail runner's dog who 'allegedly' chased her much larger god. No dogs were on leashes.
I mostly overhead the kerfuffle. By the time I arrived at the situation the trail runner was gone. The angry lady got in my way and shouted: "Do you know that runner?! Are you with him?" She was very upset apparently.

"Lady," I replied, as I huffed and puffed up the hill through the mass of women and dogs. " I don't know any of you folks. I just want to keep walking for as long as I can."

Silly day hikers. Getting so upset over such a small thing that ended as soon as it began. But, I remember, she wanted justice. It was in her eyes. Ug. Let it go I thought. Nothing happened. No one got hurt, pretty much everybody was at fault from what I could tell. Also, I thought the ridge runner was really hansom. And he was kind to me when we met. So he had my blessing.

I met a flip flopper today in passing! He was self involved so we didn't talk.

Played leapfrog with a NYC lady hiker named Violet. I'd found her hat in the woods, and she spotted me with carrying it. "That's my hat!" she said in an awkward way. I didn't much care who the true owner of the bright orange hat knit cap was. Happy enough to not be carrying it anymore.
In my fantasy, it belonged to the hansom trail runner who would want to reward me by flying us to his private island for a few days.

Ahhh.

Like I said. I have been walking slow. There is loads of time to day dream.

Now that the sun has set, I can see a huge city in the distance. Is that the sprawling suburbs of the NYC metropolis?!















No comments:

Post a Comment