Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Forgive yourself.

7:20am @ Carlos Col Shelter

Taking a lazy morning. Only walking 4.5 mi today to the next shelter.

Stayed two nights at the White Mtn Hostel in Gorham to rest my knees. Think it helped.

Last night there were two bears at the campsite I wanted to stop at. So I had to push on 4 more miles to the next water source. I was tired but it turned out nice. Stealth camped at Dream Lake. Got to eat my breakfast watching the sum come up over the small valley.

Then walked over mountains in the hot sun. 85deg with scarce water sources. Had to carry more than I normally want to.

In the afternoon I saw a moose & her calf on the trail at a 'stream'. They didn't like the look of me & headed off into the woods. Learned one thing. Moose are huge! Don't remember them being that large when riding the Alaskan Highway & seeing them....

Only 280+ miles to Katahdin, but it feels so far away.

Every week brings new challenges. There is no rest. No trail legs that make going up & down mtns easier. There is non of the monotony or boredom I was promised from the NOBOs.
I do not mind the struggles and constant decision making. Simply put. I imagined this whole thing to be a bit easier. You know. Research gear. Buy gear. Walk the trail. Seems like every stretch one must re-invent the wheel.

This week my knee hurts. Next town has no re-supply. Haven't washed in 3 days. Here is a rock scarmble. There are bears in that campsite.
Most things would likely be easier if my legs were stronger & I could trust them. But I have to baby them constantly to avoid further injury.

Also, that girl I hiked with at the beginning of the trail did a head job on me. Everything I did or suffered she had bad advice for. From physical to mental. She made fun of me for my hygiene (like washing before going to bed or brushing my teeth), to the types of food I should eat. It was constant small abuses that cut me deep. I am still struggling.

I keep thinking: "Just let it go Luigi!" But it is easier said than done.

Whatever.
Tomorrow I go and tackle the famous Mahoosuc Notch which the SOBOs have been cautioning me about for weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment