Monday, September 14, 2015

Who needs a left arm anyway?

6:pm @ Sabbath Pont Lean-To
mi 229.6

Stopped in Andover a few days ago. Picked up a food drop I'd sent myself and stayed over night at the Pine Elise Lodge. Got there on a Friday so the Red Hen in town had Prime Rib dinners. That was pretty great.

Pushed 13 miles to a camp ground (because the shelter was on top of a mtn in the clouds and was 'freezing!').
Ont the last tiny decent into the camp I fell bad and jacked up my left arm. Hurt like hell and for the rest of the night I couldn't really squeeze my hand well. There was no strength. But, there seemed to be no muscle damage on inspection other than some over extension....so I figured that I just 'nearly dislocated it' and most of the pain is from inflammation. It's feeling better today...but I only walked 5 miles to be safe.

I think I'll have this shelter to myself tonight. Pretty exciting!

Since I arrived here at 3pm (very early), I spent a while building afire in the rain. I'd ever done it before and always wanted to try. Once I got it going nice an big I let it die. The rain prevented me from sitting near it and I wanted to make dinner.

Going to try and be on the trail by 6:30am tomorrow. 9mi to Rangely, and I want to take my sweet time. With luck the rain will have decided to stop by then. Setting up or taking down camp in the rain is the worst. I tried cooking breakfast exposed this morning. It was a sad miserable experience. From now on, when it's raining I am staying in shelters.

Also my knees are getting better. Slowly, slowly they heal out here.

One last thing. Had a small blessing today. The rain stopped and the sun came out at 1pm for an hour, just as I came to a massive lake (pond?). There were some remnants of the old AT on the sandy beach where I could sit and eat my lunch. That was a very big deal for me today!





















No comments:

Post a Comment